Open Dialogue IX
San Jose, California
Forming a Collective Voice for Funders
Convener: Maria Dadgar, Atlatl-Native Arts Network
Participants: Maria Dadgar
The overall goal of this workshop was to identify key categories that arts organizations need financial support to establish and/or maintain.
This list of categories was derived from a previous limited survey conducted by Atlatl, Inc., in 1998:
- Technical assistance and training for staff
- Technical assistance and training for constituents
- General Operating (unrestricted) funds
- Capacity building (membership development, marketing assistance, direct mail campaign assistance, board development)
- Technology development (Web site, video/digital documentation procedures, eCommerce)
- Programs and mission expansion
Conduct a national needs assessment survey to obtain specifics of funding needs. The survey would be designed and executed by an organization of color. The results would be formatted into a final report that would be distributed to funders and survey participants.
Develop clearly defined funding categories so that funders could design funding strategies and initiatives to address specific areas of need