Open Dialogue IX
San Jose, California
TAAC as Association of Service Organizations
Sylvia Lowe, John Paul, Victoria Moreland, Jenjoy Roybal, Cathy Silvern, Jennifer Armstrong, E'Vonne Coleman, Lori Robishaw, Lucero Arellano, Jesse Moreles, Abel Lopez, Eden Hansen, Deborah Bunting, Angela Johnson, Dianne Y Green
TAAC as Convener
- Staff/board to include Blacks/Asians/Latino's in Foundations
- Members to include national organizations not necessarily arts institutions—NAACP, LULAC, Urban League
- Determine board-meeting schedules of arts organizations
- Include philanthropy groups—what are they doing already?
- 1st step: Talk to executive director's at arts service organizations Black Theater Network, African-American Museum Association, International Association of Black in Dance, National Association of Latino Arts and Culture, Association of Hispanic Arts, ATLATL, Network of Cultural Centers of Color.
- What does TAAC bring to the table? Cultural policy piece.
- What do other organizations bring to the table?
- Use expertise of activism and leadership of national organizations
- Build trust with other cultural arts groups and find common ground
Purpose of Convening
- Come together to address the tensions that have been created by media among growing populations
- How does the artistic expression address the issue? Create a cultural policy Strategies
- Spread the concept of getting off the bus.
- Participate in other conferences to spread the word about TAAC.
- List state arts agencies and expose their policies and outcomes.
- Becoming arts advocates.
- Confronting National Assembly of State Arts Agencies and councils about policies.
Other Organizations to Convene
- People of color caucuses within other organizations
- National Performance Network
TAAC must be thoughtful about its structure, process and practice
- Getting off the Bus—What does it mean? TAAC
- Resolution confronting the policies and processes that have dismissed people of color.
- Affirm the cultural policy statement of AGIA–conform it to TAAC specifics
- "The right to one's culture is a basic human right. Therefore, we believe that cultural expression through the arts is a basic human right. Without adequate access to resources for cultural expression one is denied this most basic human right. Further, we believe that cultural equity is the only fair and just assurance that all people obtain adequate resources to create, promote, and protect their right to free cultural and artistic expression." United Nations Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights as adopted by AGIA in 2000
Definition of Cultural Equity.
- TAAC will define fair. To be changed to meet TAAC's needs.
- Why should organizations participate?
- Do you think your organizations are being overlooked?
- Meaningful policy changes have not occurred.
- Lack representation in decision-making positions.
- Lack equitable support from public agencies.
- Lack accountability of people of color in decision-making positions.
- Re-direct the discussion off changing demographics.
- Change internal values of institutions in communities of color.
- Mobilize communities to become more responsible and pro-active in addressing these issues: Advocacy, philanthropy and civic participation.
- To make policy recommendations and monitor progress annually.
- The power of a common goal of this group of organizations
- Make sure TAAC's house is in order
- Earned income development
- TAAC merchandise—commission artists—catalog
- Bring financial people to the table to look at financial structures that are broad and that would benefit TAAC.
- Hip Hop—Chuck D
- Russell Simmons
- Stan Lathan
- Roberta Uno–Ford
- Butch Steward—Island Records
- Look at business models - Alliance, Association
- E'vonne Coleman will share list of arts organizations to contact about membership with Keryl.
- Sylvia to hook up a Xanga to post and read information from TAAC's website
- Victoria will check out Zoomerang as way to gather information
- Jenjoy and Lori to do research of cultural service organizations to approach for membership.
- Abel will send information to Keryl re: Pittsburgh gathering